Thread: What is this?
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2020, 04:57 PM   #3079
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

A thousand internet points to be shared among you as you see fit.

It's plainly obvious what they are, 2 inch black iron pipe tees.

The DIY project is the design and construction of a handrail for the staircase in the house. I strained my brain trying to put this together in my head since no store had all the pieces for me to hold in my hands and mentally assemble. I have since penciled it all out on paper and... uh.... it'll probably work. I've worked with iron pipe before and it's satisfying to start at one end and add the pieces or sub assemblies together building onward toward the other end. In this case, I'm still a little uncertain how I'll screw together all the pieces since some of them route around in a big rectangle... kinda.

The scale of the pipe is really big, and these tees, being "female", feel even bigger around the threaded portion. They're the first to arrive, thank you Amazon. It was frustrating trying to source all these locally. I did not find a hardware store in my area that did pipe cutting and threading. The cutting I could do of course, that's just a vise and a hacksaw and handful of ibuprofen washed down with a gallon of sweat. I did find some places locally that had the pipe, but in 21 foot lengths. Anyhow, I'll take pictures and post my progress.