Thread: The Quest
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2014, 03:43 PM   #162
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Thank you all for your good wishes. I am very happy to report that my success in the first interview has led to a second phone interview, this time with the head of the department (where I'll be working (hopefully)) and a member of the department (a peer (hopefully)). This second interview is scheduled to take place 45 minutes from now. I'm nervous and excited.

In the first interview (with the internal recruiter) things went very well, and she said she liked what she'd heard. She said the only red flag was my response to what I've been doing to keep myself current. In my field, IT, some skills are perishable. Not only does one get rusty with disuse, but the demand for some skills become less (my training in COBOL is of interest to only a handful of people on the planet these days, I reckon). More specifically, my experience with Windows products is somewhat dated. The work deals mostly with Microsoft Exchange 2010, some MS Exchange 2013 (only in beta now). Well, 2003 and 2007 are the editions that I last earned my scars from and some things have changed.

I should say that the job is for a front line help desk person specializing in messaging. Well, that's the kind of work I like, the kind of work I'm good at. I'm good in an emergency, I like helping people, fixing things, solving puzzles. And I'm a dab hand with technology. I'm articulate, friendly and observant. If you have a problem with your computer, I'm a good guy to call. But the specific editions of the technology *are* new to me, the tools for managing them are new to me. But not all the tools are new. Dividing a problem to conquer it is the same as it ever was. Network diagnostic tools like ping, tracert, nslookup and ipconfig are not new, network concepts like Active Directory and Global Catalog Servers are not new. I am familiar with these and they're still in wide use, score +1 for me.

I'm nervous. I started the post and said 45 mins to interview time. now it's 18 mins. I'm gonna sign off now, and try to center myself.

WISH ME GOOD LUCK!!!