View Single Post
Old 05-07-2006, 06:22 PM   #38
juju
no one of consequence

Flint, one of the things I've discovered as a parent is that people are incredibly keen on pushing their values on other people. Don't let them do this to you. If you curse, and you don't think there's anything wrong with cursing, then you're violating your own moral principles by punishing your children for cursing. You'd be a hypocrite. That's an even worse thing to teach your children -- that values are to be followed inconsistently.

In my opinion, the actual value that's being practiced by most people in society is that it's okay to curse in your home or with friends, but it's not okay to curse at work or at school.

That's what I intend to teach my daughter. She's 2 and 1/2 now, and she's been speaking since she was 1. She doesn't curse, despite the fact that we curse around her all the time. The key is to not give any reaction to it. People are very simple -- if it gives them pleasure, they will do it as often as possible. If the kids get no reaction to it, then there's no reason for them to do it.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote