View Single Post
Old 04-18-2019, 07:28 PM   #2
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

In fact, I heard that Peter Hook was mad at Simon Gallop/Cure for stealing his approach of playing up the neck! And making a lot more money at it than he did.

The most famous Peter Hook is this song, which became one of those transformative songs for a generation of English bands.

Now I'ma let you finish but here is the greatest Fender VI song of all time, along with one of the greatest American entertainers of all time... lip-synching it. But the solo is just Fender VI, to its roots.

There ain't nothing nohow wrong with that.

So there isn't any one definitive bass experience. But personally I feel like you should get a standard 4, like a Ibanez Soundgear, or a cheap Yammy like another Dwellar has checked out in my PMs. And then, a Fender Rumble Amp, anything but the Rumble 15 which is too small to get the actual bass sound out. I'm about to pull the plug on a Rumble 40 to have something portable for patio gigs.

The reason I say that is because it's a much fuller, richer bass sound... notice that when Robert Smith is using it, there's Simon Gallup playing a traditional 4 right next to him, because they still need something boomy to round out the low end.

That experience, the standard 4, gets you the experience that 95% of all 20th Century music was made with.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote