View Single Post
Old 09-21-2014, 03:43 PM   #14
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

If he could (and I watched him do it some days during the summer), he would sit in his underwear all day on the living room couch and watch Top Gear or Futurama. At school, he prefers just to draw or learn about cars or technological things. Any classwork/assignments usually have drawings all around the work area.

Last Friday night, he was at a neighbor's house on our cul-de-sac. We called him and told him to come home. It took him 45 minutes to get home...he had set our phone numbers to silent and apparently lost track of time.

Just trying to explain things to him, I have to stop multiple times and ask him to focus and look at me. I try to keep the explanations as simple as possible. One thing we regularly tell him is, "There are things you HAVE to do before you can do the things you WANT to do." His grandpa signed him up for a hip-hop dancing class late this summer...this is something we knew he would like, but because it wasn't HIM making the choice, he didn't want to do it. He went so far as threatening to cause trouble at the class so that he'd have to come home. (SEE?! He's a smart little punk!)

We have been fighting the school district for years, and it would finally seem that the middle school realizes that he needs additional help. We are looking into neighboring school districts, including the town where I now work. In St. Louis, they have a county-wide school district that works with kids with physical and mental disabilities...we do not have such places here in metro Kansas City.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote