View Single Post
Old 04-19-2019, 03:02 PM   #3
Flint
Snowflake

Solid observations, thank you.

Peter Hook's bass has always intrigued me-- like Chris Squire, you can *whistle* the bass part.

The truth is I've had guitars/basses sitting around the house for my whole life. I've picked them up and quickly realized I don't have the discipline for the learning curve.

With a marginally useless instrument like the Bass VI, it's no pressure. I can pretend I'm a teenager whose favorite band is the Cure, learn like two songs and play them for a month. After that, if I've developed some muscle memory, I can decide if I really want to pursue playing stringed instruments.

More: the Bass VI isn't much for chords, it really wants single notes. Robert Smith's melodies, on thick strings, with chorus, have more body-- they occupy more space. I won't get bored learning to navigate the fret board, because single, picked notes are the best-sounding thing I can play.

I could side-man on open jams and noodle around, trying to find little melodies. Use the bass-cut switch and run straight into my mini-PA. I could learn a bunch of chords, then pick single-note melodies out of the deconstructed chord notes, like a jazz guitarist on a hollow-body?

(I don't actually want to learn the bass... all I want bass players to do is play fundamentals.)
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote