View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #35
SamIam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adak View Post
I'm in Southern California.
Nice. But stay away Urbane Guerilla!

Southern Cali has its own set of ecological problems, although there is some overlap, of course. I should clarify what I mean when I post about the "Southwest" - Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado and Utah.

Someone looking out their window in LA (or anywhere in southern California) is going to have a completely different view than I have from mine.

I will say that both southern California and Colorado share the water problem, and that's huge.

Quote:
Just heard the geologist speak about it, last week. How obsolete can the info be, in 7 days?
I will address scientific issues when the information comes from research published in a peer reviewed journal and conducted by scientists with actual names and professional affiliations.

The "geologist" could be the tooth fairy for all I know.

Quote:
I'm not familiar with strip mining.
I know.

Quote:
I know the area around Colorado Springs has a lot of contamination. I worked under the director in charge of overseeing the clean up of my employer's dumping, both in Colorado Springs, and at a plant in CA.
I grew up in Colorado Springs and I agree. The entire Front Range has many environmental disaster stories to tell. One of the worst is that of The Rocky Flats hooror show outside Denver, but that's a subject for another thread.

Quote:
It may seem that way, but forests can definitely return. Early Californians logged the giant coastal Redwoods like crazy, clear cutting everything they could get to. Etc., etc.
Please go back and re-read the last part of my post. I have already addressed most of your comments. I'm not going to repeat myself. I will inform anyone who might be reading this that the California Redwood forest and the Rocky Mountain forests are two completely different ecosystems.

Quote:
What I don't believe in is guys like Al Gore, who have invested millions into "green" everything, telling me about climate change caused by man.
Bingo! One more time: I do not discuss climatology with scientific atheists.

Quote:
A bond system seem sensible. The company puts up a big bond, and when the area is closed down and has been properly restored, the company gets the bond back. Otherwise, the big bond goes to restore the mine area. This may already be in place - I know VERY little about mines, aside from exploring an old Gold mine in Alaska, years ago.
A bond system might work if carried out in good faith by the parties on both sides of the equation. There is no such system that I aware of in Colorado, but then things sneak below my radar all the time.

Meanwhile, back on Comedy Central, look at those damn Republicans performing their sidewhow!
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote