View Single Post
Old 07-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #1117
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Zicato View Post
Will it be a big boost in salary? I hear the cost of living there is ginormous.
$25,000 more per year, but that is a pay cut when you consider cost of living. Would need yet another $25k on top of that for parity. Ridiculous, I know. But a very real consideration, as I'm still paying on student loans and planning to start a family real soon now.

Though they do offer 401k matching, solid bonus plan, stock grants, breakfast, lunch and dinner, et cetera. It's like joining a commune. So the pay might be about parity if I boiled all that down to cash (ignoring that I will probably work a few more hours per week).

The work however is more exciting. The prospect of living in a city is kind of meh. Cycling to work everyday, cool. Stuff to do that isn't just running stupid distances, cool. So. Fuggin'. Many people. Not cool.

It's silly but I also have moral/ethical issues with the behavior of the parent company (the company I would work for is a recent acquisition and still maintaining it's culture and allowed a good degree of autonomy). Especially the company's past behavior. Now they are more or less an industry joke. (I'm sure some of you can guess/google both companies now.)

I feel very privileged and like a total asshole to be offered north of 6 figures and be like "Not enough money for me to move. Thanks though."
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote