View Single Post
Old 08-03-2012, 06:27 AM   #210
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Bri, have you ever had a doctor suggest Naltrexone? I don't have any idea how appropriate or effective it would be in your situation, but I was reading about it recently. Disrupts the opiate receptors in the brain so you fundamentally don't get the high from just about anything that's supposed to make you high. Doesn't work for all people though, just like everything.
Yeah, I've even been on it. I've even tried the oldie goldie Anabuse! the only problem with those things is that --- you can always just stop taking them. Which is what I would do. It was suggested to me that trying to control my alcoholism from the outside (from somewhere outside myself) was always going to fail. If I wanted to drink badly enough, nothing could stop me. I joke that you could airlift me to another country where I don't speak the language, have no money and am hungover to the gills and I could be drunk in half an hour. If an alkie wants to drink, they're going to drink. We could find Jim Beam in the Sahara. There comes that critical time where the only thing that stands between an alcoholic and a drink is their desire to stay sober---some say it's their relationship with their higher power, some say it's their spiritual condition....whatever. At some point you just have to decide what you want.

Long answer! sorry! I'm on my high horse and it's only 7:30 in the morning! better climb down!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote