Thread: Disillusionment
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2003, 03:16 PM   #72
Riddil
Management Consultant

Oh ja, I understood what you were trying to say in your post. I was just re-wording my original statement so that it got across the real idea I was trying to convey.

Oh... and how about this for a plot twist... it just occurred to me... why do we always look at disillusionment as a bad thing? I'm willing to be that we've all been pleasantly surprised when something turned out better than our perception of that thing could have been.

Liiiike.... showing up for an interview that you knew you'd bomb terribly... instead you amaze everyone and land the job? Or maybe your kid has his/her first public performance, and even though you *hope* they'll do fine, you have a sinking suspicion that it'll go horribly awry... only to watch them pull it off flawlessly?

I think we tend to focus on the negative moments more than on the pleasant surprises in life.

Just think about the born-again-Christian... I'm willing to bet when they have their "moment" and accept Jesus they're just about floored as their previous 'disillusionment' of the world washes away and is replaced with their faith.

I'd imagine it's a pretty powerful feeling. (Me.. I went the opposite way... d'oh!)
Riddil is offline   Reply With Quote