View Single Post
Old 02-03-2016, 02:12 PM   #816
glatt

I was on my way home from work, and I think it was raining because I cut through a hotel lobby to get to the Metro station instead of walking the extra two blocks outside. Richard Trethewey was in the lobby of the hotel talking to somebody. I noticed him, but continued on my way home without even slowing down. I saw in the paper the next morning that there was some home building convention in the convention center near that hotel. I told you it was a worse story.

I've got a slightly better story about Ross Perot. I'm just going to tell it without going through the charade of asking you to ask me to tell it. Because I probably ruined it with the plumber story.

I was walking with two cow orkers at lunch time near my office during that presidential election. We were waiting at a corner for the light to change so we could cross the street. A regular sized Town Car stopped to wait for some pedestrians to finish crossing the side street so it could turn. Ross Perot was in the front passenger seat, looking out the window sideways with the window rolled down. My one cow orker said loudly. "Hey!" and pointed at Ross. Ross smiled a big smile and waved at us from about 4 feet away as the car made the turn and was off.

I have several DC sidewalk stories. Wayne Newton coming out of the White House, Sam Donaldson crossing the street, Mikhail Baryshnikov walking with Twyla Tharp. When you turn it into a list, the stories are even less interesting.

Perhaps my favorite is seeing 'Los from the first season of MTV's Road Rules riding in a slouched "leave me the fuck alone" position on the Metro. You have no idea who he is today, but when I told friends back then that I'd seen Los on the Metro, they all knew who I meant. Stupid reality TV.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote