View Single Post
Old 10-04-2019, 07:52 AM   #12233
glatt

We replaced our air conditioner in August. And it was instantly a HUGE quality of life improvement. Our old AC was not sized correctly for our house, and we had put up with a hot house for years. The old AC ran basically continuously during the peak of the summer.

This new air conditioner actually works, and it is a pleasing temperature when you walk into the house.

Well, we got the September power bill yesterday, covering the first entire billing period since we got the new AC. The bill was less than half the bill for last September and about a third of the power consumption since last September, and you might think that it's just because it's a different year and the weather was different, but we had a hot September this year.

This AC is so much more efficient, saves money, and is way more comfortable. I'm kicking myself for not replacing it sooner.

So the thing cost a little over $6000, and we saved $60/month during AC usage so far, so we just have to use it for 100 months and it will pay for itself. I figure 4 cooling months a year, or 25 years, and it will pay for itself. Honestly though, it's not about the money. I'm much more comfortable and I cut my carbon footprint significantly.

glatt is offline   Reply With Quote