View Single Post
Old 12-12-2008, 07:58 AM   #19
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Smarter is to prepare for their installation. All networking, TV cable, phone, etc must enter and meet at a common service entrance with the fuse box. Simply prewire your Cat5 or Cat 6 cables to that point or where the WiFi router will be located (see below). If necessary, reroute all existing phones and cable TV wires to that point.

Install an AC receptacle on the box best with its own circuit breaker. Reserve an area on the wall to mount those Verizon boxes. Locate someplace (ie in the basement ceiling in the joists) where the WiFi router can have a mostly unobstructed transmission to the rest of the house. If not adjacent to the breaker box, then wire an AC receptacle for the Wifi that connects to the same above dedicated circuit.

Best is to install a separate duplex plug so that an existing receptacle is still available for other temporary equipment use such as a light to see and service the breaker box. And again, dedicated (separate) breaker because the system is essential for human safety.
This is all excellent advice, and wasn't clear at all from the Verizon FIOS webpage they gave me to prepare for the FIOS install.

I'm not going to have the FIOS service entrance near our electrical service entrance because that's in my woodworking shop, and it gets very dusty in there at times. Can't be good for high tech equipment. I'll have them put it in the cleaner half of the basement in the area where the current phone and natural gas enter. I plan to run a dedicated circuit (which I believe must be GFCI protected because it's an unfinished basement) to a receptacle there. Then I'll mount a large, maybe 2x3 foot, sheet of plywood to the concrete block wall there to accept all the equipment. You have an interesting thought about the wifi being located in the basement. I'll have to think about that. I assumed we would put it in one of our first floor rooms right next to the desktop PC. We have no laptops, but that will probably change in the future, and guests visit often with their laptops. They will appreciate the wifi.

I'm pissed off at Verizon for canceling our perfectly good DSL, but in the long run this is probably a good move. The price for this FIOS package is roughly equal to what we are currently paying for phone and internet, and the connection speeds are 10 times faster coming down and 8 times faster going up. I'll miss our old e-mail address though.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote