View Single Post
Old 06-04-2017, 08:08 AM   #3
Snakeadelic
Banned

They'd be loggin' some serious mileage trying to work where I live. We actually do have a little local bicycle sales & repair shop, which is where my sweetie takes his summertime transport for maintenance. But the population in this county is only 30,000 and it's spread across 2400 square miles (which includes over 80 mountain peaks 5,000 feet or higher, many above 8,000 feet). And bicycles are only practical about 5 months of the year if you have good cold-weather wear, 3 months otherwise.

And despite their ongoing efforts, the nearest Wal-Mart is still 50 miles north.

But Schwann's trucks deliver dairy goods still. I know this because I see one drive by at least once a week.

I think the place we'll be seeing the most of these on demand/on delivery services make the biggest impact is the suburbs of major cities. Some cities are even showing signs of fracturing into distinct sub-divisions as it becomes less and less feasible to have to drive (never MIND use public transit) from one suburb to another for pretty much anything. Traffic in LA is so bad I already wonder how the hell any of the thousands of people causing (and trapped in) rush hour ever thought they were getting to work on time. Ditto Seattle, Portland, Chicago, Miami, everywhere.
Snakeadelic is offline   Reply With Quote