Thread: diabetes stuff
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2010, 02:11 AM   #1
sad_winslow
Big McLargeHuge

diabetes stuff

Just curious, is anyone else here type 2 diabetic? If so, how do you manage it? medication, diet, exercise, supplements, not at all? Do you track your glucose levels, and how? How often do you measure, or do you measure at all?

In lumberjim's post I mentioned a supplement drink i was taking that seemed to be good stuff sold by jerk people.

Well, I ran out of it and couldn't get more right away, and decided to switch to some alternate supplements from the store; namely, chromium picolinate and cinnamon capsules, both rumored to help regulate blood sugar. The drink stuff had chromium as one ingredient, so I figured that I could at least continue taking that part, which seemed to show favorable results over a 2 week period. The cinnamon is a new addition.

I haven't been taking them long enough to say definitively that they work for me yet - but so far, the results have been encouraging. I check my fasting sugar every morning when I wake up and today it was NINETY. According to my records, double-digits have only happened to me once in the past 5 months. Normally I'm in the 150-170 range, with the occasional odd spike sometimes up near 300. Since my trial with the original chromium-containing supplement, my sugar levels have been on average 30 mg/dL lower than normal, around 110 to 130. It's been a pretty huge success, with a bit of dietary modification (but not much - I had some birthday cake one day, even. And there was that 3/4 of a pizza day. whew. i try not to beat myself up if i slip no more than once a week, though. )

I am however burping cinnamon on occasion, which is odd but I suppose not entirely as bad as it could be. Maybe if I eat some violet-flavored mints too I'll start flatulating potpourri?
sad_winslow is offline   Reply With Quote