View Single Post
Old 11-12-2002, 11:35 AM   #71
perth
Strong Silent Type

Quote:
Originally posted by juju

Well, admitting something online is no big deal. You're basically anonymous (unless that's his real name, of course).

He's said that he tells some people he's gay, but it's clear that he only tells people if he has to. That's the clue to the motivation, I think. He doesn't lie about it, but he doesn't freely offer the information, either. He makes a point of not telling people unless they absolutely need to know.

You say he doesn't like to "flaunt it", but noone actually does this. To say that some gays are flaunting their sexuality is to mischaracterize their motivations. It's my opinion that they just want to be themselves openly. For them, it's not about showing off to other people for their own ego's sake. To do so would be counterproductive to the ego.

I don't really like to tell people i'm from Arkansas. It's really none of their business. If they're intelligent, they'll figure it out.
i guess i really dont understand what youre suggesting. are you saying he should actively try to work it into conversation? as in "this dinner is great! im gay. could you pass the potatoes?".

i dont go around telling people im straight. it really is nobodys business but my own. so i dont see why gay people should have to tell people theyre gay. it comes off like theyre warning you about it or something. its okay to be proud of what you are, and if you want to tell people thats fine. but just because a person places different values on privacy does not imply that theyre ashamed of what they are.

~james
perth is offline   Reply With Quote