View Single Post
Old 05-26-2008, 05:46 PM   #3
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Clod, do you know how to make a beschemell sauce (cheese sauce for the rest of us)?

Melt about 4 tablespoons of butter. Remove the pan from the heat then add in about 2 tablespoons of plain flour. whisk it till it becomes a paste. If you need a little more flour it's ok to add it after you've started mixing. Return the pan to the heat and add a couple of cups of milk. (you can use water, but milk or even full cream if you want a really creamy sauce) Continue to stir with the whisk till the sauce starts to thicken. At this point you should add whatever cheese/s you like.

I usually use mainly cheddar and then sometimes I use a pecorino or parmesan. Any kind of cheese that you like the taste of. Then just keep adding cheese until the sauce tastes as cheesy as you like it. You should keep the heat low at this point. Don't allow the sauce to boil at any point. Just keep it hot enough to melt the cheese.

A tip I often use is to add a chicken stock cube. It just adds a bit of zing to the sauce.

So then, you've boiled your macaroni and drained it. You simply pour the sauce over the top. You can then sprinkle a bit more cheese over and bake it if you like too.

Simple as and tastier than anything you'll get out of a can.