View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 09:47 AM   #36
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Out of the blue, maybe a year ago, a crazy ex GF to whom I hadn't spoken in almost 18 years emails me out of the blue, full of apologies, and fawning praise about what a great guy I am, how I am awesome to the 10th power, how I changed her life, and taught her so many things and so on etc.

I was polite and somewhat reserved, kept everything on a superficial level and didn't keep the ball rolling.

Over the next several months I would get semi-regular emails from her saying the same thing in different ways, and my responses were always neutral.

When I met her she had just had her 5 year anniversary of being cancer free (Lymphoma--I don't remember if it was Hodgkins or Non-Hodgkins) So eventually she gets around to telling me that she contacted me because it was her 20th Anniversary of being cancer-free and she had been thinking of me and how great I was etc etc (As I'm typing this I see the math doesn't work out, This should really be her 23rd year-- I suspect she might have made up the number 20 because it sounded better than 23)

A few weeks ago she mentioned that she was having health issues and didn't want to elaborate. Yesterday I get an email from her saying she has cancer and it is in an advanced stage, and she can't handle this without my help.

a. Fuck cancer.
b. Even though you are as mad as a shithouse rat, still, fuck cancer.
c. I'm sorry, but we dated for less than a year, 18 years ago, you'll need to find another support team.
d. Fuck craziness in the head.

I feel bad for anyone going through this shit, and this woman has had more than her share of shitty in this life even without the cancer, but I am having an awfully hard time scraping together much enthusiasm for her case.

It's the manipulative guilt trip thing and the bird with a broken wing thing that irks me. I think she remembers me when I was a knee-jerk caretaking fixer of other's problems rather than the sympathetic ear, that's tough breaks, kid, but I've got to deal with the mess I've made of my life right now, kind of guy I'm becoming.

Anyway, this maybe belongs in another thread, but it is sort of about cancer.