View Single Post
Old 07-13-2006, 09:13 PM   #11
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Actually, this reminds me of something that happened to me a few decades ago.

I was a camp counselor in Pennsylvania. I had some free time, so I took my bow, which was a cheap fiberglass recurve that was still better than the camp ones, and went to the archery range.

The targets were set in front of hay bales. I was using a standard target point, a blunted cone. After shooting, I went to get the arrows out and found one had gone in all the way into the target up to it's fletching. Pulling the arrow out normally would have ruined the fletching, so I followed standard practice and walked around back to pull it out by the point.

I saw the point poking out of the hay bale and gave it a good yank. In less than a second, the snake that my arrow had shot through flopped out of the hay bale and onto my wrist.

I don't know exactly how loud I screamed, but I'm sure they heard me in the next state.

The snake was black and about a foot long. The arrow had gone through the skin about halfway down the body but pushed aside all of the organs. It was not poisonous, but it was pissed. I took it to the nature hut and they put it in a terrarium with some other snakes, which it ate.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote