View Single Post
Old 06-20-2001, 05:28 AM   #14
Justin
Neophyte-in-training

I was just browsing through and couldn't help but to address this topic of apathy that jaguar brought about.

"there isjsut so much apathy. Even in my own school, which is considered ot have slightly more inteligent students (enterance examination only entry) i find so many simply do not nwat to know' or do not care..."

It seems that apathy has very little to do with intelligence. I don't notice that very many people are too stupid to care. More often the case is that people are too nihilistic to care. These things go hand and hand, as is natural.

I would venture to say that for my generation, who has grown up with no cause to fight for, no religion to be saved by, and nothing that truely matters staring them in the face, nihilism is the most natural conclusion to reach.

You can all see the trends i'm sure. Teen suicide is on the rise i do believe (some don't even value their own existance). School shootings are creaping up in every portion of the united states (if you believe in nothing, why would you value someone elses life?). Drugs, hard drugs, are working their way into lifestyles as we seek meaning in anything we can.

Nietsche warned us of this. Nihilism is the destructor of society. It breeds chaos, apathy, cruelty, and greed.

What is the solution you say? There is none. Nihilism seems to be somewhat of a pandora's box. Our innocence can't be put back in again.