View Single Post
Old 08-04-2015, 05:53 AM   #534
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

You shoulda seen the out-takes

Anyway. Had a mini, short GTG with Carruthers last night. First time he's been to my 'rents since last December, when things were very different.
We exchanged pens (his gift to me) for Penguins (chocolate covered biscuit bars) and chatted and laughed and generally got on as well as any two Dwellars could. I took him on a tour of the estate. By which I mean the garden. But it's a decent sized one by town centre standards.

Received this mail from my bro. He apologised in a follow-up for sending it (why?!) because it's generic, but I completely get that there are a lot of people who he wants to update.

Quote:
I DID IT!

And it was fantastic.

Okay, due to the unfortunate incident that closed Leith Hill, we were diverted and I wasn't able to do the full 100 miles, but 92 miles is still by far and away the longest ride I've ever done and I still felt great at the end of it as well (unlike some of my shorter training rides!)

My official time was 5 hours 56 minutes - if I'd have done the full route, I estimate that I'd have finished in about 6:30, which would have been 30 minutes up on my estimated time (and that includes longer stops at the water stations than I'd planned as well), so obviously I'm pretty chuffed.

The best moments were definitely flying up Box Hill (1 min 30 secs better than my recce ride), the huge crowds in Kingston town centre (cheering so loudly!) and sprinting down the Mall (24 mph average!)

If you want to see the full details, I've uploaded my GPS data to Strava - https://www.strava.com/activities/360248140. I've also added a few more photos to the gallery on my sponsorship page if you want to check that out (tinyurl.com/steve100miles), but I've attached two to this e-mail of the start line and my medal.

Definitely putting my name down to do it again next year!
Maybe I should stop calling him Boy and start calling him The Man.