View Single Post
Old 08-25-2019, 10:56 AM   #2524
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry quirk View Post
… Mebbe folks coulda just kept that SS deposit in the first place, saving it as it suited them, investing it as they liked. ...
You can if you demonstrate that you have a viable alternative to SS so you don't become a moocher later.

There was a Staff Sergeant in my Special Forces unit (you know, those people trained to do insurgency operations) who was a savvy investor. He reasoned that he was losing money on SS contributions versus investing it. He got a lawyer, sued the government for taking SS deductions from his military pay and WON! He showed me his Leave and Earnings Statement (paycheck stub) and there was NO SS deduction.

A similar situation exists with healthcare. You don't have to have insurance if you have a viable alternative so you don't become a moocher. I don't have to have healthcare insurance. I have VA medical coverage, which is not insurance; but, is already recognized under ACA as a viable [minimally acceptable] alternative. I don't have to get an individual exemption.

Those who are paying into SS and/or healthcare insurance can find a way out of it if they can demonstrate responsibility towards their future. The majority of those complaining about paying into those programs don't have viable alternatives and are just self serving latent moochers.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote