View Single Post
Old 08-25-2019, 01:53 AM   #2522
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry quirk View Post
"I've seen roads in PA and NJ deteriorate in 3 months so they weren't passable at more than 25 mph."

Here in S Louisiana the roads are terrible: terrible with gov oversight.

I'm thinkin' folks might do a better job of it w/out incompetent pols & greedy contracters.
Who? Who's going to fix the roads? Who's going to buy the equipment and materials?

Quote:
"grew up with a town volunteer Fire Department who put out many grass fires around houses that burned down."

Made my point for me: thanks.
Oh, I didn't realize your point was let 'em burn and try to keep it from spreading.

Quote:
"The fire department usually has an ambulance with full time EMTs

Here, we got Acadian Ambulance. Privately owned. We seem to get along just fine w/out the gov in this area.
So you just pay whatever they say you owe, we also have private ambulances that charge as much as the lawyers who chase them.

Quote:
"Because it becomes too fucking expensive when only a few are in it"

Again: you make my point. If folks, in large numbers want sumthin' (like unimployment ins) then the market (other folks) will provide. If so few folks actually want it that it has to be mandated, by technocrats with lent power, to 'be', well: you get my drift.
So you think if 40% want it someone will provide it cheaper than the currant system? 60%? 80% And still make a profit? Not a chance. A corporation rich enough to fund that kind of operation wouldn't be bothered with that piss ant operation. To make it worth their while nobody could afford it except people who don't need it.

Quote:
"Right, they wouldn't come to rely on it, they'd just die like they used to."

Think it through: if you know your golden years are all on you then, mebbe, you make an effort to provide for those golden years when you're younger, you know, the way lots of folks do 'now' even with SS existin'.
Most people in the real world couldn't come up with enough to pay a surprise $500 bill over and above normal living expenses. I don't think the % of people building an investment portfolio for retirement is very high.

Quote:
"Fine when you boy is running 106 fever send out for bids."

Think it through: I've already done my homework. When he had an 'issue' I took him where the treatment was available and the reasonable, and 'I' paid the bill, not taxpayers.
The last time I was in the hospital I was there from 6AM to about 1:30PM and the bill was over $175,000... +$19 to park. The taxpayers didn't pay that either. If the taxpayers were paying it would have probably been in the $30,000 range. If you don't have to worry about that shit you must be pretty rich.

Quote:
"I don't need a charity but where do these people who do find one?"

On-line, phone book, a church, city hall, etc.

A tiny bit of effort renders great reward.

Oh, wait, you expect the charity to consult a crystal ball and go to the needy, yeah?
You're dreaming, every available resource is turning people away for lack off capacity.

Quote:

"thousands of people on the streets because they've no place to go."

Where & why are there 'thousands' on the streets with no place to go?
The last numbers I saw were a little over 200,000 homeless citizens, but it's a tough area to get exact numbers.

Quote:
"I'm not even counting the ones who prefer the street to shelters because it's safer."

Where are these unsafe shelters?
Now I'm trying to figure out if you're fucking with me or you're really that out of touch with reality.

Quote:

"OK, I googled Associated Catholic Charities. It gives me Baltimore and NYC as a footnote."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Charities

And that link doesn't even begin to cover all the locations.
OK, where are they?

Quote:
"Cato or Brutus didn't write it, you did."

No, I didn't:
Yes you did, those dudes were long dead when the Cellar was created, and I doubt either one had a computer. You wrote it.

Quote:
"The internet says you're wrong"

No, it doesn't.
Show me.

Quote:
"you are used to being wrong."

Please, expose my errors, list 'em, shame me.
I already have, just read everything you've written about the future.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 08-25-2019 at 02:04 AM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote