View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012, 12:40 PM   #8
SamIam

Ibby, my heart goes out to you. I know all too well the issues you are struggling with. And ADHD can be the condition that pulls those knock out punches. I know that for me, ADHD is more responsible than any other one thing for my difficulties with paperwork, getting things done on time, coping with anxiety and depression - on and on in a dizzingly downward spiral.

How big is the town you live in? Almost every town in the US has an Independence Center which is an especially mandated service to help people with disabling or potentially disabling conditions such as you describe. They will provide you with an advocate who will help you with your paperwork, sending off for forms, etc. The Independence Center in Durango is fantastic! If you can't find one listed in your local phonebook, try looking on line as well as asking the folks at your school's mental health center (if it has one).

If all else fails, please PM me because I have tons of info for all over - not just Colorado because I do volunteer work with the Independence Center here and we have a listing of most of the other Centers in the different states. The service is free, so you don't have to worry about getting some big bill from them.

And please don't hesistate to let them know that right now your symptoms are giving you a lot of difficulty to the point where you do feel disabled. There's no shame in it, we all go through difficult times at least a few times in our lives.

Also, if you want, PM me, and I'll give you the link for a really fantastic ADHD online suport group. Many members there deal with dual diagnoses like you (and I) do. This group has helped me so much!

Hang in there and I'm sending lots of good thouhgts your way~
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote