View Single Post
Old 06-30-2010, 01:27 PM   #4
jinx
Come on, cat.

I wonder if non-americans agree with UT's assessment.

I don't know, I wasn't paying attention at the time... so, being bored (sick kids), I looked it up on wiki. Clinton is only mentioned once on the wiki page for the Bosnian War,

Quote:
The Bosnian government lobbied to have the embargo lifted but that was opposed by the United Kingdom, France and Russia. US proposals to pursue this policy were known as lift and strike. The US congress passed two resolutions calling for the embargo to be lifted but both were vetoed by President Bill Clinton for fear of creating a rift between the US and the aforementioned countries. Nonetheless, the United States used both "black" C-130 transports and back channels including Islamist groups to smuggle weapons to the Bosnian government forces via Croatia.[29]
and not at all on the Yugoslav Wars page, which sums up the end of the Bosnian war this way

Quote:
In 1994 the U.S. brokered peace between Croatian forces and the Bosniak Army of the Republic of Bosnia and Herzegovina. After the successful Flash and Storm operations, the Croatian Army and the combined Bosniak & Croat forces of Bosnian & Herzegovina, worked together in an operation codenamed Operation Maestral to push back Bosnian Serb military gains. Together with NATO air strikes on the Bosnian Serbs, the successes on the ground put pressure on the Serbs to come to the negotiating table. Pressure was put on all sides to stick to the cease-fire and finally negotiate an end to the war in Bosnia. The war ended with the signing of the Dayton Agreement on the 14 December 1995, with the formation of Republika Srpska as an entity within Bosnia and Herzegovina being the resolution for Bosnian Serb demands.
So anyway, I'd like to hear more. Was the US peace brokering the important part, or the arms smuggling, or what? What really went on over there? Inquiring minds...