View Single Post
Old 04-02-2004, 12:23 PM   #65
linknoid
Superior Inhabitant

Sorry for interrupting the flamefest (although it does appear to have moved to other threads), but I actually wanted to put some comments on the actual picture. My roommate is from Nigeria so I figured he would be a good person to ask about the picture, but I haven't had a chance to talk to him since the picture was posted. Finally I asked him about it this morning.

First off, he's never seen people walking around with hyenas on leashes before, and suggested that that picture was probably taken in certain areas of one of the big cities, possibly the biggest one, in areas you definitely wouldn't want to go (think of the most dangerous inner city areas in the US, with gangs and such, same kind of thing). He said if he could see the guys faces better, he could tell where they're from. He said there's no way people would be keeping hyenas simply as pets, the purpose is definitely for showing off.

About the armbands, he said they're pretty common, made of leather, and a lot of people wear them, especially hunters, and usually use it to carry a knife, with the blade between the armband and the skin. I asked if they were gang related, and he said no, but it's possible the color of the hat might be.

He also suggested another possibility. He said there's a lot of people who practice black magic over there, and one thing they do is write stuff on their arm and then put the armband over it. He said that it gives them a lot of power, and one guy might be able to fight off 20 hyenas at once, or have a wild bear do what it's told, using this black magic. I don't know how much of that I believe is accurate, but he said these people can do some really freaky stuff. Anyway, he said it's most likely these guys are just showing off their powers by keeping hyenas like that.

I didn't ask about the baboons. Maybe it's the same kind of thing?
linknoid is offline   Reply With Quote