View Single Post
Old 12-13-2008, 04:16 AM   #30
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Did they bring the fiber optic cable into the house and put all the equipment inside, or did they terminate the fiber optics outside at one box and have everything else inside?
I have seen both configurations.

FIOS comes most often with the router (only four ports) and WiFi in one box. Never saw a FIOS without WiFi, however the option is probably available.

For what its worth, DSL comes up to 8 Mb. It screams despite those cable claims of 'slow' DSL. All three - DSL, cable, and FIOS are so fast that bottleneck delays are more often internet congestion or slow servers.

If I did not mention it before, I cannot say enough about WiFi software on computers that measure signal strength in dBs. Those 'five bars' is almost useless. This 'tool' is extremely useful in eliminating WiFi dead spots. One problem for WiFi can be the main metal heat ducts. Wifi is best located above so that these ducts do not obstruct the signal. I corrected WiFi installations by mouting the WiFi up in the joists on a 'table' nailed between those joists. It also do this because I love driving big nails into big wood with a big hammer that has big teeth.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote