Thread: Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2019, 04:58 AM   #824
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Pausing only to consult my copy of Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage (it never leaves my side) I find the following:

Quote:
Douglas Douglas-Hamilton, 14th Duke of Hamilton

Air Commodore Douglas Douglas-Hamilton, 14th Duke of Hamilton and 11th Duke of Brandon, KT, GCVO, AFC, PC, DL, FRCSE, FRGS (3 February 1903 – 30 March 1973) was a Scottish nobleman and aviator who, together with D.F. McIntyre, was one of the first men to fly over Mount Everest.

Styled Marquess of Douglas and Clydesdale before he succeeded his father as the Duke of Hamilton and Keeper of Holyroodhouse in 1940, he had been a prominent Unionist Member of Parliament (MP) for East Renfrewshire from 1930 until he succeeded to his titles.
Quote:
Styled Marquess of Douglas and Clydesdale before he succeeded his father as the Duke of Hamilton and Keeper of Holyroodhouse in 1940, he had been a prominent Unionist Member of Parliament (MP) for East Renfrewshire from 1930 until he succeeded to his titles.
He was appointed the honorary colonel of the 7th (Blythswood) Battalion of the Highland Light Infantry in July 1931.
In 1935 in order to experience the life of the employees in his family's mines, he joined a Trades Union and worked for a time at the coal face, as plain 'Mr. Hamilton'.
I thought that the name rang a bell. When Rudolf Hess parachuted into Scotland he, and his crashed aircraft, landed on the Duke of Hamilton's estate.
Hess gave his name as Alfred Horn, a friend of the Duke of Hamilton, and was taken to hospital.
When the Duke was informed of the prisoner he visited him in hospital and Hess identified himself.
Hamilton immediately informed Churchill and Hess was imprisoned until the Nuremburg Trials.
The fact that he had asked for the Duke by name, and suggested a prior friendship, raised suspicions of where Hamilton's loyalties lay.

Link