View Single Post
Old 03-16-2008, 04:53 PM   #4
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
Great little machine, works great on my clothes, BUT -- I've burned out the motors on two of them. Maybe I'm just overloading them; maybe the motors are crappy; but I was wondering . . . could it be my outlet?
Yes, and it could be other problems.

First some obvious symptoms. Do incandescent bulbs dim or brighten when major appliances turn on or off?

Second, some parameters that may result in motor failure are low voltage, high voltage, and power factor problems. Probably a simplest tool to learn what you do and do not have is Kill-a-Watt. All three factors viewed digitally by only pushing buttons. Now are numbers to get a useful reply.

Other numbers for a useful reply are manufacturer and model numbers.

One significant reason for motor failure is bad power factor. In simple terms, if voltage and current don't arrive at the same time, then an electric motor can overheat. Power factor of 1 means best power AND means more of the electricity you pay for actually does productive work.

Voltage should remain between 117 and 125 volts AC (which some call 110 volts). Voltage would be outside this range if incandescent bulbs are changing intensity.

Of course, popular myths claim that computers are more easily damaged. Computers must work when voltages are anywhere between 90 and 130 volts. Same bad power factor is not harmful to computers. Do you have bad power? If yes according to above numbers, then your major appliances may be a first victim; computer one of the last victims.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote