View Single Post
Old 02-20-2004, 10:16 PM   #13
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally posted by hampor
The whole story is much more bizarre.

This Sea Lion turned up in the central valley farmland after swimming up some irrigation canals. This is a LONG way from the ocean.
The movie (and book) Jaws is based to a large part on a shark attack on the Matawan Creek in NewJersey - about where mile marker 106 of the Garden State Parkway crosses that creek. That is also a significant distance inland. I had kayaked that creek some 20 years ago. My kayak was about as long as creek was wide in most places. Little did I know of the 1916 history. If anyone had told me a 12 foot shark was hiding in those waters, well, water is way too shallow, too narrow, and far too inland for sharks. So I would have thought.

View pictures of where the attack occurred. Most of the creek is like this from where we put in on Route 34 at a dam almost to where small power boats are moored near Raritan Bay.

If a large Great White could spend days in a creek like this, then why not a smaller sea lion in the Central Valley?
Creek where attack happened
Creek at high tide. Land to left gently slopes down into creek; would be very shallow here:
Another view
Looking over boats on right of this picture, out beyond those reeds is the Raritan Bay. Shark attack would have been maybe a mile behind this picture:
Creek entrance to Raritan Bay

Map demonstrates how far inland this attack was:
Map of Attack

Story is here: MATAWAN MAN-EATER

Last edited by tw; 02-20-2004 at 10:55 PM.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote