View Single Post
Old 03-31-2007, 12:42 AM   #39
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I was wondering the same thing. I know if I was an engineer and all that mess happened behind me, I'd uncouple the train and get out of there.
When a train derails, a resulting loss of pneumatics results in all brakes applied on every car and fuel cutoff to the engine. In this case, engineer and conductor heard the problem, looked back, and saw sparks flying. Immediately they applied brakes. A car derailed about 5 seconds later. When the train stopped, they jumped and ran. This is what was reported.

Suspicions fall upon a rail that may have shattered. Apparently this line was inspected only last November by that ultrasonic inspection train (I believe operated by Unisys). But that rail section, for reasons not explained, could not be tested by machine; was inspected manually.

This train was shifting from one rail line to another. IOW, if settlement due to spring thaw had undermined one rail bed, then a car may have tilted and derailed during at that transition. However other reports implied this did not happen.

Trains in this region normally operate at 50 MPH. But due to the rail shift, this train was only moving at 30 MPH. Even with brakes fully applied; appreciate how many cars piled into the derailment until remaining cars could stop.

NY State is becoming concerned with CSX since well over 500 problems have occurred over the past seven years. NY's Governor has opened an investigation of CSX.

Essential to CSX is this line; a major connection to New England. Freight trains must go far north, to Albany, to get around or into NYC. A new proposal would build a tunnel from Jersey City, deep under the Hudson River, to surface in Brooklyn so that NYC can become a shipping port again. Instead shipping is from Newark NJ where freight trains can service ships.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote