View Single Post
Old 12-07-2001, 02:59 PM   #1
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Adventures in Telemarketing

It never fails...around 7pm each night, my phone rings. A few times, I have picked it up to hear a telemarketer on the other end. Nowadays, I don't even answer. When I check the voicemail a few minutes later, of course, there is no message.

This morning, around 11ish, I'm puttering around on the Cellar, when my modem is cut off by a phone call. Given that I am looking for a new job, I'm hoping that it will be a recruiter or a company rep on the other end. But...

Caller: "Good morning...may I, ummm, speak to Mr. Terry Blasterbraig?" (I am used to this...people butcher the shit out of my last name all the time.)

Syc: "This is he"

Caller: "Good morning sir, my name is (don't remember his name now), and I'm calling from MBNA, the issuers of (insert credit card of mine they own here), how are you today?"

Syc: "I'm fine."

Caller: "How is the weather there in Philadelphia today?"

Syc: *caught off guard* "Ummm...not bad."

Caller: "I'm calling from Eugene, Oregon. We're seeing the sun for the first time in like forever." *caller sounds like he's just coming off a pot high and needs some food...of course, it's only 8am in Oregon at the time of the call*

Syc: *still baffled* "Uh huh."

Caller: "Well, I'm calling today in regards to credit protection for your account..."

Syc: "Uh huh" *not amused...I hate when they call me about that shit*

Caller: *laughs* "You don't sound too excited about that..."

Syc: "Well, I'm fully aware of credit protection, and I'm not interested in it. It costs too much."

Caller: "Sir, can't you help me out?"

Syc: *now very baffled* "I'm afraid I'm not interested in the protection..."

Caller: "Well, it's free for 30 days..."

Syc: "No thank you..." *hangs up the phone*

Now generally, when a telemarketer calls me, I can tell that they're reading from a script...and they usually sound very mechanical. That, or they're ridiculously friendly. But this is the most unusual telemarketing call I have EVER received.

I'd be curious to hear any other unusual telemarketing stories...
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote