View Single Post
Old 06-24-2005, 09:28 PM   #73
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Nope. Unlike most of the people (typically the NORML crowd) I know the really bad down side of what fun drugs can do to you.
I don't think anyone is disputing whether or not drugs are bad for you. That's not the issue. The issue is whether or not government is here to protect us from our own bad decisions and the answer to that is a resounding HELL NO!

I've seen the good and bad side of drugs personally. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone...(other than ecstacy or marijuana) but the fact remains that it's not the place of government to stop people from being stupid. If it were, all the people who voted for Bush would be in prison.

People own themselves, and they own their lives just like they own their property. They can do something great with that property, or they can destroy it. Either way, it's not up to you or anyone else to force them to take any particular course of action unless that person is physically harming or endangering a non-consenting other or their property.

Fast food is very bad for you. Do you think government should ban fast food and arrest people who eat it? My guess is no. If not, why not? How is it different than telling other people what drugs they may or may not take?