View Single Post
Old 11-20-2003, 08:40 PM   #51
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by dave
I'm not trying to justify my attack as truthful. I have stated that the point of the comment was to get across that personal attacks are not useful in discussion between juju and I. Of course I wouldn't like an attack against the woman or my family. That's the whole point! He went personal first and I ended it.
Dave, have you considered that caustic remarks may not always be the answer in situations like this?

As I understand it from you, you go caustic in part b/c 1) you don't like people that post opinion as fact and 2) you want to show people that it's not cool to go personal.

In the grand scheme of things, I think what Juju said is silly (in regards to opinion as fact). We all do it at one time or another...it happens. Yes, Juju has done it before. But still...you completely dressed him down, and at the end, you made a comment that Juju (and anyone else) could have easily construed as you starting the attack. Was it really called for this time? Imagine if you hadn't gone off like that...he might not have called you pathetic, and this shit might have not have occurred.

Quote:
He should have said "I should clarify - I don't think it's likely that blah blah blah. I didn't mean for it to sound like I was stating it as fact." Then I would have said "Oh. Well, fair enough." We shouldn't even be here!
But at the same time, you could have easily said, "Juju, you're posting opinion as fact. Why do you keep doing that? Knock it off!" or "Care to back that up with some sources?" Or, you could have just ignored it altogether.

I'm not saying that you should completely quit blowing people out of the water...sometimes, it's amusing...even called for. But consider this:

--When you pounce like that, do you really get your point across? Or are you just adding fuel to the fire?

--How could those attacks come across to fellow--and potential--Dwellars? Beyond "I wanted to show people that personal attacks are uncool."

Just give it some thought...

Last edited by elSicomoro; 11-20-2003 at 08:46 PM.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote