Thread: Knife Advice
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2008, 08:25 PM   #98
Ruminator
Ohio fisherman

Thumbs up

Thanks for the welcome Urbane Guerrilla.

I agree with your well made points.

My thoughts also went along the line of cost and what can be bought at a lower price thats going to be most reliable. It sounded like cost may be a limiting factor for him, ...but maybe not.
I personally also like a Sig, or S&W. And I know the Glocks have earned a great reputation in the field.
But unless things have changed alot, you can probably still buy a wheel gun in better condition for the money than an autoloader?
Also, in most home defense situations(actually inside your home) firepower isn't usually going to exceed the six shot capacity of a revolver is it?
(38 Special or 357 Magnum- my choices)
Not that theres anything wrong with greater firepower!
As for a bad primer in a revolver, just pull the trigger again. And unless you buy reloaded or cheap generic ammo, your not likely going to get a jam in today's modern guns, I agree.
The 357's kickback, yup, I hear you. Its a cannon alright. Definitely not a first choice for a smaller bodied person.

For price and all the rest of the considerations, piercehawkeye45, I again suggest the merits of a basic shotgun for "in the home defense". I keep a Police model Remington 870 ready at all times. (short legal barrel length)

Also piercehawkeye45, I suggest watching the movie "Death Sentence" with Kevin Bacon.
It very much perfectly applies to our discussion here in so many ways!
Especially the aspect of our not being able to accurately "count the cost".
I know the dad does about everything possible the wrong way, but it is still a great depiction of Murphy's Law altering how we think something will go.

And like was suggested, moving as soon as possible may be your best choice.
Wow, this thread ia a real beginning of an education for those not already having any such knowledge.

Good discussion.
Ruminator is offline   Reply With Quote