View Single Post
Old 11-15-2002, 11:49 PM   #86
Chefranden
Disorderly Disciplinarian

Quote:
Originally posted by MaggieL
You actually believe acts out of deep principles and serious ideals rather than selfish opportunism? Personally, I don't buy it.; your pronouncement of your belief to be "the fact" doesn't make it one.

When this crew directly threatens me with death--very directly, mind you; their proclaimed "religious beliefs" call for my personal immediate execution should they somehow gain dominon over me--it becomes pretty much impossible to impress me with how principled you think their stand is.
Actually it is not a matter if any of us believe it. What matters is if bin Laden & Co. believe it. I for one think they do. People who are in things for personal gain don't fly in airplanes they know will dive into buildings! So at least some of &Co. are acting out of their deep principles and beliefs which by their actions they prove their seriousness.

It is possible; I suppose that bin Laden could be the, Baker-Swaggart-Farwell of Islam. But those sorts usually align themselves with the powers that be and use the money extorted from widows and orphans to buy airplanes, diamond mines, and caddies. They certainly don't live in caves like the dessert fathers did. And while they rant against the powerless like un-wed-mothers in need of abortions, they don't follow in the footsteps of Girolamo Savonarola and beard the governing powers for their misdeeds. Again there is not much use for personal gain when you're hiding from 2000# bombs in caves and under rocks and have hundreds of armed drones looking for your ass. That sort of thing makes it hard to spend your millions on anything but guns.

In point of fact Kutz is right. Drug Lords and other normal criminals have a healthy respect for their own asses. People that "know" they will go to heaven because they are doing "God's Will" don't give a rat’s ass what happens to them personally. If you don't respect that, what ever your personal feelings, and act accordingly your ass is going to get burnt as per 9/11.
I wouldn't go to war again as I have done to protect some lousy investment of the bankers. There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket. Major General Smedley Butler, USMC
Chefranden is offline   Reply With Quote