View Single Post
Old 08-01-2015, 01:35 PM   #34
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

The map is often only seen as an aid to getting from A to B, but it is more than that. It enables you to see, at a glance where you stand in the great geographical scheme of things.
Whether it is a world atlas, or a large scale local map it assists orientation and general awareness.
If I want to drive from A to B I can look at a map, see which towns I will pass or go through, how I can avoid congestion by bypassing places, see if hilly terrain with narrow roads can be avoided and a host of other information is there to provide an all round assessment of the journey.

Now, my experience of using car satnav is limited to say the least but, unless things have improved in the last few years, the A to B satnav assisted journey is a somewhat limited affair.
It's akin to being pushed about with an electric cattle prod until you get to your destination. Plug in two post codes and fill in the bit in the middle by obeying the orders.

Perhaps that’s all people want. Delegate the decision making and the tiresome business of thinking for yourself and consider it money well spent.