Thread: Ayn Rand
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2007, 09:00 PM   #11
9th Engineer
Bioengineer and aspiring lawer

I'm going to have to come back later and watch the rest of the video series, plus I'm going to buy both her books and read them with great enthusiasm. Many of my own ideas are in parallel with hers, not all, but many. Her bit on love in the first video is very close to what I've come to think in the past few years, if you must love all, you can love none. We live in a society that forces us to value that which none of us can control, our humanity. We are told that someone deserves our aid not because he has fought to better himself in all areas, but because he happened to be born with a human genome. This is all sounds warm and fuzzy when read in a heated room in front of like minded people, but the disillusionment of so many people who set out to serve others is a good warning about how this meshes with reality.
Is it really heartless to expect people to earn the respect and loyalty of those around them? Most would say no, is it really any different to say that they must earn love through effort and personal growth?