View Single Post
Old 03-08-2001, 12:18 AM   #2
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Great post, Tony. I'm curious to see what his response will be.

My $.02--The net is the most personalized of all the media out there. We can tailor other forms (radio, TV) fairly well, but never before have individuals had so MUCH control over what they really want. Right now, the bottom line for getting what we want costs about $20 a month (at least for me). For those wanting to make money on their content, there are always ads (as with other media)...that seems like the only surefire to guarantee yourself SOME money. They can also limit content. You can get almost everything online, but let's say I want to read the St. Louis Post-Dispatch online...I know that the online version is not going to be quite as good as the print version. (Definitely true...Postnet sucks.) Not to mention, if you want older material from the online newspapers, you have to pay for it. And those online versions are covered in ads.

I think people got too gushy over the 'net during '98 and '99. As people got more familiar with it, it was a big rush...people couldn't get enough of it. Then the honeymoon ended.

Lastly, I think that good old-fashioned American "I want everything for free" attitude hurts the internet as well. Look at Napster...now we have a new generation of whiny-baby teenagers wanting everything handed to them for naught a dime.

As I said, just my $.02...
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote