View Single Post
Old 03-19-2020, 10:13 AM   #6696
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

The phone rang at 0725 today.
A call before about 0900 is usually an urgent matter if not a full blown emergency.
Having rushed to answer I was greeted with the usual call centre noises associated with a scam.
It didn't take long to confirm what I suspected so I brought the call to an end PDQ.
We haven't had a great number in the last couple of weeks but I believe that this might be due to a recent edition of Panorama exposing their methods.

Quote:
Spying on the Scammers

Panorama

Hundreds of thousands of people fall victim to scams in the UK every year.
Many are run from criminal call centres in India, where teams of fraudsters operate around the clock.
Now Panorama has obtained hacked CCTV footage from inside one scam call centre that shows exactly how it works.
Reporter Rajini Vaidyanathan tracks down the man behind the crime and the British victims who have been conned.
Most of the programme was based on the work of 'Jim Browning' an IT professional who invests a great deal of time and effort in exposing the scammers.
Fascinatingly, by hacking into the call centre's own CCTV system he was able to see the person he was talking to.

I think that some of the scammers ended being rather more irritated than me.
Not before time.

LINK Not viewable outside the UK but the relevant material is all in Browning's YouTube channel.