View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 05:16 PM   #6
Ibby
erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
Wow, those are some insanely highly detailed maps, without a lot of concrete reference points to correlate. Do you have photographic memory of spacial orientation details, or did you overlay semi-transparent layers of the maps in a graphics editing program?

How did you determine the correlations between the maps? Even that they were "really closely correlated" --by what percentage would you estimate?
It's more that I'm familiar with the elections map - note the rings of white flight republicans surrounding southern democratic cities - along with remembering an article I can't find about how the blue curve that runs along the fertile strip of the south - from Mississippi (rich Delta soil) across Alabama and Georgia up into the Carolinas - makes millions-of-years-old dead plankton relevant in American politics (by making that stretch of formerly-submerged land particularly fertile, meaning they became predominantly black in the age of slavery and retain large african-american populations today), and I notice the same trend of predominantly african-american areas having more food deserts than whiter areas.
edit to add: so obviously I'm speaking in a political science mindset, not mathematical correlation. Just "eyeballing" it as it were.