Thread: minidisc
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2002, 09:20 AM   #15
dave

Nope. I have about 1,700 songs on it right now (10 GB model, before the introduction of the solid state wheel) and I have no problem getting around it or finding exactly what I want. Here's how you break it down, by menu on the first screen:

<ul><li>Playlists
<ul><li>Playlist 1 - manually created, has whatever you put on it
<li>Playlist 2 - smart playlist - automatically updates itself to have, say, every song with the word "love" in the title... or every song where the artist is "Tool"... or 25 random songs where the artist is "Tool"... pretty flexible
</ul><li>Browse
<ul><li>Artist - browse by artist
<ul><li>All - shows all songs by all artists
<li>Artist 1
<ul><li>All - shows all songs by that artist
<li>Album name - all songs on that particular album
<li>Album name 2 - all songs on that particular album
</ul><li>Artist 2
<li>Artist 3</ul><li>Album - browse by album name
<ul><li>Album 1<li>Album 2<li>Album 3</ul><li>Songs - shows all songs on unit<li>Genres - sort by Genre<ul><li>Genre 1<li>Genre 2</ul><li>Composers - sort by composer (for example, composer is Beethoven, artist is Bob's Orchestra)<ul><li>Composer 1<li>Composer2</ul></ul></ul>

The wheel and the few buttons (five total) make it super easy to get around. The wheel supports acceleration, so if you're scrolling through 2,000 songs to get to Z, well, the faster you turn it, the more songs it will fly through on each turn. It's really a great design, and if you had one, you would love it. Apple pretty much thought of everything, and it shows.

Where are you located? There might be an Apple store nearby. Check out http://www.apple.com/retail to find one. If you're serious about finding a good portable music player, you owe it to yourself to look at an iPod.