View Single Post
Old 09-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #843
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Truth is really the most important thing in the world to me. It's the basis of trust, which is the basis of all relationships.

The determination of truth is my lifelong mission. It is the foundation that we stand on. Without it we have nothing. ...

... Does reality matter? It definitely does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
No it doesn't, we interact with what is presented.
If they are phony, it's their loss, not mine.
Quote:
That's exactly what I have done.

I saw through lies and interacted with what was actually presented, instead of what was attempted to be presented.
Quote:
... But at the same time, honesty is one thing that's strange about the shop, because there are so many lies going on at all times. Being a relentlessly honest person was one thing that made it hard to work there. Half the customers are lying to us when they bring things in; people make up all kinds of stories about why they need money, or what their item really is. Half the time we give an explanation for something, we are lying just because it makes it easier to do the job. ...
[Bold mine.]

Your customers are under chronic financial stress which may influence their value of truth and perspective on reality. There are other circumstances which do the same and you're not alone in the way you deal with it; but, you're shortchanging yourself when you said "... just because ...". For instance, healthcare workers at all levels are trained to interact with people who have dementia, psychosis, developmental disability... etc. within the framework of that person's perception of truth and reality, to the extent that they can without causing significant harm, rather than calling them out on every disparity between their presentation and the truth. It's done primarily to keep the lines of communication open by giving enough leeway to those with challenges to accord their self-perception of dignity (though sometimes to protect them). People challenged with living at; or, just above the survival level, whether in Philly or Cortez, often can't afford to have that perception on their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
... you cant make a grand statement about the search for truth and then agree that you're interacting with a falsehood knowingly. One or the other. ...
Not.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote