View Single Post
Old 02-21-2014, 06:35 PM   #103
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
We just use all season tires all year, but we live in a city and hope that we only drive on bad snow a few days of the year.
After running over 100,000 miles on original Michelins, I first tried two all weather tires. Figuring I may sell that car before these tires wore out. However, handling (especally in rain) was seriously inferior with those all weather tires. But they were not Michelin - which might explain the bad handling.

Also interesting was less vibration with Michelins (a tiny shake in the steering wheel). Some tires have minor variations in belts that cause a tiny shake or shimmy only at highest speed.

In early days, I would buy two rims to leave snow tires mounted on. So that I could mount snow tires without remounting and balancing tires. I made a mistake one day. While rolling both tires to the garage, one got away. Once a rim mounted tire starts rolling, it cannot be stopped. I kept kicking it to knock it over. Due to momentum created by a steel rim, that tire would not fall over and stop. Eventually the tire was going faster than I could run. Fortunately it hit a tire, climbed up the trunk about ten feet, and bounce back at me. Then I could kick it over.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote