View Single Post
Old 11-11-2008, 04:00 PM   #67
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Anchovies are always available in the 'za joints in California -- I think it would cause shock and anger if they were not. The wife and I (and this is usually her idea) will have anchovies added to a veggie pizza as reinforcement, though we also get them from time to time with a meaty one. She dislikes pepperoni; says it's too greasy. Can't say as I see eye to eye there.

Except for being fish, anchovies otherwise hew to all the essentials of pizza animal protein: strongly flavored, and more or less oily. Too, Californians put sliced avocado on pizzas too. We would. Goes on right after the pizza comes out of the oven so the slices are well warmed but not brutally melted.

I haven't seen hardly anything in the way of green olives, though they're probably around. I'm very fond of black olive teamed with Italian sausage. An added sprinkle of green olives...? Hmm. And hot peppers give pizza macho: it does not slide apologetically down your gullet, but puts up a respectable battle. Sort of the buccal equivalent of mechanical bull riding.