View Single Post
Old 11-22-2003, 07:59 PM   #58
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Wolf, you may be right...this person DOES sound awfully familiar...too familiar.

Quote:
Originally posted by HaywardNelson
And also? Thanks for attempting to placate me through patronage.
Patronage? Hardly. Ask around...I don't patronize anybody here...I don't need to.

Quote:
As we have all proven, you never know who is lurking.
True. You just never know.

Quote:
For all you know, you have just provided a headcase with the name of her school.
Anything's possible. However:

--We don't know this girl's name for certain...definitely not her full name.
--We don't know if this is the school in question.
--Anyone could have gotten the same information I did.

You could argue that I made it easier for a headcase, but then you have to go back to the first two points above.

Quote:
A sick person would go to the trouble of finding out her information while a potentially sick person would have it at a glance, considering how a previous post has it all wrapped up with a bow.
So, are you trying to say that I'm a sick person for finding the information?

See above regarding the latter part of this quote.

Quote:
Also, I find that what you have done is akin to posting information about a pre-teen.
Quote:
No, I don't "think" it's wrong...It IS wrong.
You qualified your statement in the first quote, which is good, but didn't do so in the second quote...not good.

The law you posted does not seem to apply to this situation, as I have not posted anything sexual about her, nor have I posted her home information. If you want to consult a lawyer or calls the cops on me, be my guest.

Quote:
As for that being annoying (someone posting thoughts as fact), that's just plain silly and you know it.
We just had a big blow up involving two of our regulars in another thread, regarding posting opinion as fact. Depending on the situation, I'd say it can be rather trivial. I think we all do it on occasion.

However, as a whole, I think people should definitely avoid doing such a thing, for it cause a great deal of problems, from misunderstandings up to slander and libel. I merely advised you that it's not a good thing to do around here. Whether you choose to heed my advice or not is up to you.

Quote:
You sound well-read. Why can you not see a problem with this?
Because as a whole, I don't think it was necessarily a problem.

Quote:
One last thing: is there not an option in the user CP that would disallow her posts to be part of your viewing/posting pleasures? If not, I am sure a moderator can make that possible.
There is an ignore option on Cellar...I personally don't use b/c I don't find it useful to block posts from certain people.

So, let's review: A Dwellar remarked that he would like to notify said person's school to have our site filtered from their internet. Putting 2 and 2 together, I found what could be the school, but as I mentioned, no guarantees. After giving it some thought, I removed the information, but it still exists in a post by FNF and in a thread created by Juju. Whether they wish to have it removed from their posts/threads is up to them and/or Undertoad. Were any laws broken? It doesn't look like it. Was it wrong? That's a judgment call to be made by each individual.

As an aside, I hope I AM wrong in suspecting that you are someone else posting under another user ID.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote