View Single Post
Old 09-29-2016, 10:41 PM   #537
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I had a glass of George Dickel's Rye Whiskey. My *last* glass, until the next bottle.

In other news, booze is expensive here in Washington, fuckyouverymuch Costco. There's about a 40% tax on booze, which puts the cost of my favorite scotch, Laphroaig, at about $0.10 per milliliter, or about $80 a bottle. That's... very dear. Twil and I recently returned from a lovely weekend in Canada (where my beloved Rat City Roller Girls took third place in the playoffs and are travelling to Portland in December for World Championships!!!). Back to the booze, a trip that long warrants a brief detour in the Last Chance To Leave Your Money In Canada Store (aka, duty free shop). Which I did. I picked up a couple bottles of Laphroaig (Quarter Cask, since you asked. You didn't ask? Ok, that was for free then) for $57 a bottle. This worked out to about $0.04 per milliliter, a 60% discount over my local cost. For the math geeks in the room, I'm factoring in the 1.30/1.00 exchange rate and no taxes and BONUS, thank you Canada for the metric system. Here in the good ol' U S of A, we buy booze in "fifths" but they're really just 750 mils. Canadian bottles are a full liter, a fucking third more booze for the same "sticker price", no taxes, and cheap Canadian peso.

Fuck Yeah, I lurve Canada.