View Single Post
Old 09-22-2016, 10:52 AM   #49
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

I have rather cheekily used Mod's privilege to move my Fanny to where she feels more appropriate.
Fanny's first outing
Our attempts to get away with Fanny for her first outing, fixed for today, look like this:
Most of September - wait for new car to be sourced ...
Sunday - abandon idea of waiting for new car, and decide to get towbar fitted to existing car
Monday - ask garage to source towbar, number plate
Tuesday - take car to garage for towbar fitting, car makes awful rattling sound, rear shock absorber replacement needed, garage orders that, leave car at garage, take bus home (10 miles)
Wednesday - get lift to garage, towbar fitted, shock absorber due in lunchtime, remind garage about numberplate, numberplate ordered, return home to take husband to work, he's damaged his eye so take him to hospital instead, take car back to garage, shock absorber fitted, number plate delivered, no news from husband in hospital, ring hospital to be told he went home hours ago, go home find sheepish husband, look at trailer ball-hitch and find that the handle is jammed vertical so I can't actually hitch the car to it anyway, ring neighbour who understands these things - they'll send their boy round ... Mr Limey and I both bark our shins on the towbar at the back of the car in the dark after band practice.
Thursday morning, take Mr Limey to work, come home and fold up my Fanny. Remember to arrange insurance. Ring garage and invite owner to come on holiday with us, obtain reassurance that the hitchlock isn't stuck and will simply snap down once I've attached Fanny. In fact I managed to use the term "ball-lock" in the conversation! Attempt to turn folded Fanny round by hand so that I can try to hitch up facing east without much success, decide to hitch up facing the wrong direction and .... SUCCESS. We are hitched, but car nose is sticking halfway across the road pointing west and I want to go east. Turn car and Fanny, first attempt at a little reversing manoeuvre. Once you are beyond a certain degree of acute angle between car and trailer it makes no difference what you do with the steering wheel. Who knew?! Get rig turned and take it half-a-mile up the road to a lay by (uh, pocket, you guys call'em!). Remember number plate is in house, fetch it and attach it to rear of trailer. Think about unhitching car to fetch my luggage from the house but decide that I'm not unhitching until we get to a caravan site this evening. Remember spare wheel is in shed, carry it half-mile up the road to put in car boot. Haul/carry luggage half-mile up road and put it in car. Set off for ferry with two hours to spare.
Get brave and decide to do a small detour and stop off to collect towing mirrors en route. Fit'em, decide they're more confusing than helpful. (All advice gratefully received). Get checked in for ferry an hour earlier than necessary. Fetch essential liquid refreshment supplies from supermarket. Am now waiting for Mr Limey to arrive off later ferry (he couldn't get off work earlier, and I could get the rig booked on a later ferry.

Sent by thought transference