View Single Post
Old 08-16-2016, 01:41 PM   #172
glatt

I'm calling the upper blade guide done. It works.

So now I need to focus on the lower blade guide. It requires a big hunk of hardwood that will support the blade guide and also the tilting brackets that will carry the weight of the work table and whatever work the saw is cutting.

Only problem is, I am out of wood. Fortunately, we have new neighbors around the corner who just moved from two houses into this one they just bought. And they keep throwing away furniture. I snagged a beautiful maple double bed from them. It was too big with its head board and foot board to actually use as a bed (although it was nice enough) so I started cutting it up into lumber scraps.
Name:  IMG_7670.JPG
Views: 185
Size:  84.4 KB

It's a well constructed bed frame. None of that cheap Ikea crap. Solid maple.
Name:  IMG_7671.JPG
Views: 170
Size:  70.5 KB

The slats are beautiful, and while they are small, they might come in handy.
Name:  IMG_7672.JPG
Views: 190
Size:  106.5 KB

You can't glue up finished wood. The glue won't stick. So I had to scrape off the finish before I could glue these up. I noticed that the plans call for a threaded t-nut to be inserted in the finished block, and I see that the bed already has t-nuts in them so they can be knocked down and moved. I decided to use the scrap wood so the existing t-nut gets glued up in exactly the correct location.
Name:  IMG_7742.JPG
Views: 189
Size:  134.4 KB
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote