View Single Post
Old 02-13-2016, 03:00 PM   #295
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

coming up on month 7 with no problems, this has been much easier for me than I ever thought possible.

Most of you, if not all, know that I'm a pilot and hold a commercial certificate and that due to my drinking the FAA revoked my medical a few years ago because of it. Well, I've been jumping through the various proverbial "hoops" as directed by the FAA to re-acquire my second class medical.

One of the hoops was to undergo a substance abuse neuropsychological evaluation performed by a Human Intervention Motivation Study (HIMS) neuropsychologist. I took, and passed, the test on Feb. 4th which took all day and was very mentally intense as well as costing me a small fortune in cash, no credit cards or insurance accepted. Here is an excerpt from the conclusion of the doctors evaluation: "Given the fact that I fortunately saw no signs of aeromedically significant cognitive impairment on testing, I can recommend that Mr. Scheid be granted a Special Issuance in order to return to active flight status at this time."

next step is to open my mailbox and see a letter from the FAA with my medical inside. I'm sure it will only be valid for 6 months at a time for the next 2 years, but at least I can fly unrestricted once again and also for hire